Welcome to the Town of Smyrna
Thank you for choosing the wonderful Town of Smyrna as your new place of residence.
Our small town thrives on the friendship and courtesy of good neighbors. Everyone benefits when we reach out to our neighbors! We need your help to keep our town beautiful, our lawns tidy and buildings in good repair.
As we continue to grow, we welcome all residents to:
- Our town council meetings, held on the first and third Mondays each month, with holiday exceptions
- Encourage involvement on our many committees
- Follow the Town of Smyrna Facebook page for current events and updates
- Sign up for our free weekly e-Newsletter
The following information will assist in your transition to living in Smyrna:
Your town utility bill is comprised of two to four types of charges:
View the 2022 Rates Sheet (PDF).
We also have a collaboration with Efficiency Smart. They help with appliance recycling, provide energy savings tips, and so much more.
This bill is due upon receipt; the town does not send reminders. Your bill can be paid online, over the phone via an automated system, in person at town hall, through the dropbox outside of town hall, or mailed.
Trash / Recycling Guidelines
Carts may be placed at the curb after 4:30 pm the day before your pickup and should be removed by midnight the day of pickup.
- Carts must be stored in the rear or side setback of your property where they are not easily visible from the street
- Carts that are left on the street cause problems with parking and visibility, and are unsightly
- All trash must be placed inside the cart
- Recycling does not need to be bagged inside the cart
- Bulk items are household items that do not fit in the cart
- 1 item is collected weekly by the trash collector
- Please call 302-653-9231 option 1 to get your item on the weekly schedule
Please see the guidelines for recycling on the Statewide Recycling Program page.
Yard Waste Guidelines
- Residential-only and is separate from trash and recycling collections
- Collected Monday through Wednesday by Public Works
- Must be placed inside a designated cart
- Cannot be bagged curbside
- Please call 302-653-9231, option 1, to request a container, or view our yard waste page to submit online
Please sweep up grass after mowing and place it in your yard waste container, (or compost bin, if you have one). Grass clippings on the street are hazardous and can clog the storm drains.
Other Good Things to Know
- Please abide by the "No Parking" signs.
- In some locations, this is for safety reasons, and in other locations, it allows for street sweeping.
- Town parking is directional with the flow of traffic; please do not park facing traffic.
- Snow Removal: Residents are responsible for snow removal on sidewalks.
- Please shovel snow within 24 hours to reduce ice buildup and to keep walkways safe.
- Vehicles and trailers of all types must be tagged with current registration or they may be towed at the owner's expense.
- This includes those on private property.
- Campers/RVs and trailers may not be left on the street for more than 72 hours unless you have a permit from the town.
- Before installing a pool, fence, shed, or other structures on your property, please call 302-653-3486 to inquire about a permit and for guidelines.
- Keep in mind that filling a pool will increase your town water charges; please alert the town if you are filling a pool so we can adjust accordingly.
- If you plan on using outside water frequently, consider installing a yard water meter.
- This will help reduce the sewer charge.
- We have several parks and recreation areas, please help keep our town clean and beautiful by taking your trash and items with you.
- The new Report a Concern on the town website makes it easy for residents to inform the town of:
- Electric issues/requests
- Issues at a park
- Trash collection problems
- Please use this system to help us keep track of problems, thanks!