Starting on Tuesday, September 1st, 2020 our new trash/refuse and recycling contract starts with Waste Management (WM).
Waste Management, Inc. is a leading provider of integrated environmental solutions in North America. They serve over 21 million municipal, commercial, and industrial customers in the U.S. and Canada. Waste Management is North America's large residential recycler and renewable energy provider by recovering the naturally occurring gas inside landfills to generate electricity. This is called landfill gas-to-energy. As North America's leading provider of comprehensive waste management services, they set out to maximize resource value while minimizing impact. This allows them to further economic and environmental sustainability.
A Message From WM
Dear Town of Smyrna Residents,
Waste Management of Delaware is pleased to have been selected as the Town of Smyrna's hauler to provide waste and recycling collection services for the Smyrna community. Our team is committed to delivering best-in-class results to you and your neighbors. Along with your new trash and recycling carts, Waste Management uses trucks that run on compressed natural gas (CNG) which are cleaner and quieter, operated by a crew of experienced drivers who value safety and performance. Plus we have a dedicated local team that is in regular communication with your Town officials, along with a host of quality assurance programs designed to meet the community's needs. Please take a moment to review the information in this brochure to become familiar with the services we are offering the residents of Smyrna.
Welcome to the Waste Management of Delaware family!
Very kind regards,
The Waste Management Team
Trash and recycling will be collected 5 days a week. The town has been split into 5 districts. View the map and corresponding development/road list (PDF). You can also view our interactive map online. The change in collection will ensure that there is always a presence in town if an issue or missed pick-up needs to be responded to. Trash and Recycling will be picked up on the same day, by different trucks. This will eliminate having to take your bins to the curb twice a week. Your new carts are made with at least 10% post-consumer plastic, meaning the recycling materials collected at the curb were used to manufacture these bins.
- Both the trash and recycling bins should be placed curbside the evening before your service day or before 6 am the day of your pickup
- The black cart with the green lid is for trash
- The black cart with the yellow lid is for recycling
- Please do not mix trash with recycling and recycling with trash; view the DE Solid Waste Authority's recycling guidelines online
- Only one small bulk item that does not fit inside the trash bin will be collected on your service day. One larger bulk item will be collected on Thursdays. We work a week in advance, so all bulk items need to be called in before noon, on Fridays for the following week pickup
- Bulk is typically an item that is 40lbs or heavier.
- Mattresses, box springs, and cloth furniture, (decorative pillows, cushions, etc), must be wrapped in plastic, secured with duct tape.
- Appliances such as washers, dryers, freezers, refrigerators, etc. must have their doors removed and be free of Freon and tagged as such. If these items are not tagged, Waste Management will not take them.
- Waste Management will not pick up yard waste, or construction debris including materials from contractors or renovations, paint, chemicals, tires, batteries, or items containing gasoline, kerosene, or Freon. These items may not be mixed in with regular trash.
- Electronic waste is beginning to not be permitted in landfills. View the Delaware Solid Waste Authority collections schedule (PDF) for hazardous waste, electronics, and document shredding.
Questions / Complaints
All complaints and/or questions regarding trash collection should be made to the Public Works Administrative Assistant, 302-653-9231, ext. 1, or the Town Manager's Assistant, 302-653-9231, ext. 6.
Residents can also use the 311: Report a Concern online tool
Please note that Waste Management observes the following 6 holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
When one of these holidays is on a weekday, Waste Management will operate the remainder of the week one day behind the normal schedule.
The town will still provide 2 annual clean-up events; one in Spring and one in Fall. These are advertised on our website, in the Smyrna/Clayton Sunday Time, on electric bills, and on our Facebook page several weeks in advance.