Job Title: Municipal Worker I - part time / seasonal
The Town of Smyrna is looking for motivated, dedicated, and hard-working individuals to be of service in the Town's mission of effective government services for its community. The variety of tasks asked of the Public Works department can provide unique and challenging work on any given day, with the end result a positive impact for the residents and local community. This is a part time/seasonal, entry-level position, however, it is a fantastic opportunity to join a team that is “Always moving forward” in a role with room for growth to develop professionally. The starting wage for this positing is $13.50 per hour. If this sounds interesting, please read below for a full description of the requirements needed to be considered as a candidate:
The role of the Municipal Worker I part-time/seasonal position with the Town of Smyrna will primarily work in and around the Town, sometimes handling repetitive tasks. This position reports to the Public Works Operations Manager and/or supervisor or another designee.
The below listed essential duties and responsibilities are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for this position.
- Collects and removes trash from Town own receptacles and public properties
- Mow and weed-eat grass
- Assists in street repair, i.e. lay asphalt patches
- Assists in installation of water and sewer lines
- Assists in cleaning and clearing of sewers
- Assists in snow removal
- Assists with yard waste removal
- Load and unload trucks/supplies with a forklift
- Assists with Town events
- Other related duties as assigned
Minimum Education Requirements:
High school diploma or equivalent.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to accurately follow all directives and safety protocols.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to do manual labor, potentially lifting and/or moving up to 75 pounds.
- Ability to interact effectively and courteously with the public, co-workers, and management.
- Have regular and timely attendance, and a good performance of duties in a safe manner.
- This is medium work requiring the exertion of 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Work requires climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, and grasping; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word.
- Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; mental acuity is required to make rational decisions through sound logic and deductive processes.
- Visual acuity is required for depth perception, color perception, peripheral vision, preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, use of measuring devices, assembly or fabrication of parts, operation of machines, operation of motor vehicles or equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities;
- The worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme cold, hazards, and atmospheric conditions. The worker may be exposed to blood borne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment.
- Possession and retention of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license issued by the State of Delaware. All motor vehicle violations must be reported to supervisor immediately and a good driving record is required to retain position.
- Must pass testing for substance abuse and criminal background investigation as required by DOT.
- Required to pass testing of physical strength and agility to qualify for and retain position, per DOT standards.
- Must maintain a positive work environment by acting and communicating in a manner that promotes harmonious relations with customers, co-workers, and supervisors.
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) must be obtained with in the first six months of employment.
- Must obtain flagger certification.
Apply to Position