Job Title: Municipal Worker I - full time
The Town of Smyrna is looking for motivated, dedicated, and hard-working individuals to be of service in the Town's mission of effective government services for its community. The variety of tasks asked of the Public Works department can provide unique and challenging work on any given day, with the end result a positive impact for the residents and local community. This position is entry-level, however, it is a fantastic opportunity to join a team that is “Always moving forward” in a role with room for growth to develop professionally. The starting wage for this position is $13.50 per hour along with a generous benefits and pension package. If this sounds interesting, please read below for a full description of the requirements needed to be considered as a candidate:
The Municipal Worker I position with the Town of Smyrna is a non-exempt (overtime eligible) emergency essential role. This position reports to the Public Works Operations Manager and/or supervisor or another designee and is an AFSCME union position.
The individual in this role will primarily work in/around the Town, with reporting, office duties and meetings at Town Hall and the Public Works Building.
Under the general supervision of a supervisor or other designee, this role performs a variety of maintenance work at Town owned or controlled buildings and property.
The below listed essential duties and responsibilities are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for this position.
- Troubleshoot and perform minor repairs to mechanical and infrastructure.
- Perform carpentry and plumbing tasks as required.
- Install and maintain equipment and pipe fixtures.
- Maintenance of grounds and landscaping of the town properties; Paint the interior and exterior of buildings and equipment;
- Open and close Town facilities as directed.
- Repair and clean sidewalks and other outdoor surfaces.
- Pick up and/or deliver goods and equipment as required, using the town provided vehicle.
- Remove ice and snow from sidewalks and other areas.
- Move furniture and equipment as required.
- Perform custodial or security work as required.
- Other related duties as assigned.
One (1) to two (2) years of experience in the maintenance of buildings and equipment on the skilled trades level, preferred and some custodial experience; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Minimum Education Requirements:
High school diploma or equivalent.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Good knowledge of and skill in the methods and practices of carpentry, plumbing, lawn and grounds care, infrastructure maintenance and repairs, painting, and other trade areas;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to accurately follow all directives and safety protocols.
- Ability to do manual labor, potentially lifting and/or moving up to 75 pounds.
- Ability to interact effectively and courteously with the public, co-workers, and management.
- Have regular and timely attendance, and performance of duties in a safe manner.
- This is medium work requiring the exertion of 50 pounds of force occasionally, up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Work requires climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, and grasping; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word.
- Hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; mental acuity is required to make rational decisions through sound logic and deductive processes.
- Visual acuity is required for depth perception, color perception, peripheral vision, preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, use of measuring devices, assembly or fabrication of parts, operation of machines, operation of motor vehicles or equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities;
- The worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme cold, hazards, and atmospheric conditions. The worker may be exposed to blood borne pathogens and may be required to wear specialized personal protective equipment.
- Possession and retention of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license issued by the State of Delaware. All motor vehicle violations must be reported to supervisor immediately and a good driving record is required to retain position.
- Must pass testing for substance abuse and criminal background investigation as required by DOT.
- Required to pass testing of physical strength and agility to qualify for and retain position, per DOT standards.
- Must maintain a positive work environment by acting and communicating in a manner that promotes harmonious relations with customers, co-workers, and supervisors.
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) must be obtained with in the first six months of employment.
- Must obtain flagger certification.
Apply to Position