According to early history, Smyrna was first settled prior to the American Revolution on the southern bank of Duck Creek, near the fork of Green's Branch. In 1716, this tiny village was first named Salisbury. It was, however, also known to its inhabitants as Duck Creek. Duck Creek soon became a thriving community of merchant vessels.
Along with shipping grain, lumber, peaches, and eventually fertilizer, shipbuilding became a prominent business. Two major thoroughfares formed what were known as Duck Creek Crossroads and later came to be called the Four Corners of the town. In 1806, the Delaware Assembly changed the name of the town to Smyrna. The original boundaries were one-fourth of a mile in each direction from the Four Corners. In 1857, the town limits were extended another one-fourth mile in each direction, making the town equivalent to one square mile.
Present-day Smyrna is at least three times its pre-1900s size and growing rapidly. The town's strategic location in the northeast, in addition to its location 12 miles north of the state capital of Dover and 30 miles south of the major business center of Newark and Wilmington, makes it a competitive location for business. Smyrna's historic small-town atmosphere and its great pride in its quality of life and educational system make it highly desirable for families and homeowners.
Committed to prudent progress, the town is upgrading its physical and technological infrastructure in order to prepare for growth demands in advance of the need. Home to approximately 6,000 residents, Smyrna was recently ranked 31 in the nation and number one in the state among towns ranging between 5,000 and 15,000 people. Enjoy Smyrna - a place where the past co-exists pleasantly with the present while diligently preparing to leap into the future.