Permits & Applications
New for 2022! Now you can apply and pay for a permit, as well as search for your permit online through our Permit Portal.
Manage Your Permits Online
Any new building construction and most modifications to existing buildings.
Modifications include, but are not limited to items such as:
- Additional rooms (including finished basements)
- Structural renovations and repairs
- Renovations including siding
- Roofing (when replacing more than 25% of the sheathing)
Permits are also required for all signs and for separate buildings and structures such as:
- Pole barns
- Pools (in-ground, above ground and portable if they are capable of holding water greater than 24 inches in depth)
- Hot tubs
The Town also requires permits for plumbing, heating, ventilation and air conditioning installation, and sidewalks and driveways to ensure they are constructed according to the Town of Smyrna Specifications.
While there are things that may be constructed without a building permit, the Town of Smyrna recommends that if you plan to have work done at your property, either on your own or with a contractor, or if you are a contractor that will be working for someone in the town, please call Building and Inspections at 302-653-3486 before you start construction to see if a building permit is required.
Prior to scheduling a Framing Inspection the following must be complete:
- Must be weathertight
- Air seal must be complete
- Rough Plumbing Inspection must be complete/approved
- Rough Electrical Inspection must be complete/approved
Prior to scheduling a Final Inspection the following must be complete:
- All energy testing must be complete/approved
- Kent Conservation District complete/approved
- Final Plumbing Inspection must be complete/approved
- Final Electrical Inspection must be complete/approved
Thank you for your cooperation,
Building and Inspections Department