Henry Levin Center
Located at 27 North Main Street, the Henry Levin Center is both a pharmacy museum and conference hall.
Located at Main Street and Commerce Street, Smyrna is proud of its historical background. Over 490 buildings in Smyrna qualify for the
National Register of Historic Places
The Old Town Hall was built between 1869 and 1879. The first floor housed the Town Office, the Smyrna Library, and the Police Station including the jail. In 1887, an addition was completed to add the Fire Department. The Smyrna Opera House was located on the second floor, and the third floor was used as a meeting room for various local lodges.
Tragically, in 1948, a devastating fire broke out on Christmas night destroying the bell tower, the entire third floor, and the balcony. Although the first floor occupants continued in the building, its usefulness was drastically curtailed.
Located at 11 South Main Street, the Smyrna Museum Complex is owned and operated by the Duck Creek Historical Society. The main building is formerly known as The Barracks, and was donated to the Historical Society in 1981. Since that time, the Duck Creek Historical Society has sought to rehabilitate the structure in order to show the changing architectural styles. Most of the furnishings give evidence of the changing social periods from early Federal to late Victorian and are on loan to the Society by members of the Smyrna community.
The Historical Society gained possession of the Plank House, which is now located behind the museum. The Plank House is completely restored and is one of the finest examples of a local structure from the early 1700s.
The Museum Complex is open on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m.. For appointments or other days please call (302) 653-1320. Admission and exhibits are free.
Smyrna Opera House
Located at 107 South Main Street, the
Smyrna Opera House
is both a theater and an art gallery. In 1887, the Opera House occupied the second floor of Old Town Hall when an enlargement program added the current stage and expanded the usability of the building. Until the 1920s, when the second floor was converted into a picture palace, the Opera House presented a wide variety of events such as:
Other community activities
Among the notables who appeared there were Frederick Douglass, William Jennings Bryan, Olive Logan, Lucy Stoner, and General Tom Thumb. Exhibiting the most popular films of the era, first as silent films and then as talkies, the Roxy provided enjoyment to two generations of area residents until the 1948 Christmas fire.
For more information or to see a list of upcoming events, call the Opera House at (302) 653-4236.