History

Library Formation
The Smyrna Public Library, known previously as the Smyrna Library Association, was the first subscription library formed by a small group of Smyrna men in 1858. For 11 years, the library operated out of the Odd Fellows Hall. In 1869, the library moved into the Old Town Hall building located at the corner of South Street and South Main Street.

The First Librarians

The library's first librarian was Drive. W.T. Collins who cared for, labeled, and cataloged all books. The first officers were:
  • Mr. Daniel Cummins - President
  • Rev. Brisbane - Vice President
  • Mr. Robert D. Hoffecker - Recording Secretary
  • Mr. W C. Eliason - Treasurer
Mr. John C. Stockly proceeded as president in 1869, when the library moved to its present location.

Location
On June 8, 1940, the subscription library became a free, public library for the citizens of Smyrna and the Smyrna School District. In 1977, the library increased from a single room to a double room occupying the Town Hall section, and in 1989, the library moved into the Police Department section and occupied the entire first floor of the building, totaling 2,700 square feet.

On December 25, 1948, it is uncertain whether Christmas decorations started the fire that burned the third floor of the building causing extensive smoke and water damage to the first floor of the library. Books were carefully moved to the Parish House of the Episcopal Church, where sorting and repairing were done. The library operated from the church until October 1949, when it moved back into its original location on the corner of South Street and South Main Street.